Database Users and Administrations
In DBMS, there are different types of users in database structure. Let’s explore in details about the database user type:
- Native users
- Application programmer
- Sophisticated users
- Specialized users
- Online users
Native users are end users who works through the menus/navigation available in the applications. These types of users are not aware of the existence of the database system and their functionality.
Application programmers are those database users who do programs and develop an application interface in high level language like c, c++, java.
Sophisticated users are those database user who directly interact with the database system with the help of query language. These types of users don’t write any program.
Specialized users are responsible for writing specialized database applications that do not fit into fractional database processing framwork.
Those users who communicate with database directly through online.
What is Database Administration (DBA)?
Database administration is a person or group of person who specialized in managing of physical database design, securities enforcement and database performance. Database administration has rights to change the privileges of any user from the database. DBA can add, remove or modify a users’ privileges.
Here are some responsibilities of database administration include:
- Decide the database capacity and physical design.
- Decide database recovery and backup regularly to prevent data loss.
- Control user’s privilege as per their role.
- Ensure database security and integrity.
- Monitor database performance regularly.
- Improves query processing performance.
- Provides better help and support to users.
Depending upon the organization’s requirements there are some different types of database administration.
- Administrative DBA – maintain the servers and databases and responsible for backups and securities patches.
- Development DBA – similar to programmer, involved in writing SQL queries and stored procedures.
- Data architect – decide physical design of schema, build table indexes, data structures and their relationship.
- Data warehouse DBA – involved in merging data from different sources into a data warehouse.