What is Database?
What is a Data?
Data is a collection of facts stored by a computer. These data may be in the form of text, images, audio files or any software programs etc.
Database is a collection of data in organized format so that it can be easily accessed and managed.
Most of the database store their data in multiple tables. For example – In a company there are multiple fields i.e, employees, products and financial records. So to store these each data a company may have three tables in a database. Each of the table will have related fields to the employees, products and financial records.
What is a DBMS?
DBMS stands for “Database Management System”.
Here Database is a collection of data in any organised format. And Management system means a set of program which help to store and retrieve these data from database.
DBMS is a collection of data and a set of programs to store and retrieve data from database in an easy and efficient manner. So, DBMS is a software which is used for creating and managing different databases. MySQL, Oracle, SQL Server, PLSQL, DB2 are some popular commercial DBMS used in different applications
Why do we use DBMS?
In earlier days, data were stored in the files i.e, file based database. Saving data in files have many drawbacks.
- Data redundancy and data inconsistency
- Difficult in accessing data easily
- Data isolation (multiple files & formats)
- Data security problem
- Transaction problem
So, here DBMS comes to in use and offer the best solutions for these kind of problems.
What are the advantages of Database?
There are many advantages of using database:
- Data independence i.e, reduce data redundancy
- Data entry, update read and delete cost is reduced.
- Data sharing becomes very easy.
- Data integrity and security
- Data administration i.e, only authorized user can modify data in database.
- Decision making with data is improved.
- Concurrent access and data crash recovery.
- Reduce an application development time.
What are the applications of Database:
Database can be used in several fields. Some important applications have been listed below:
- Banking – for all type of transactions
- University – used to manage student registration and their grades etc.
- Airlines – reservation schedule and others flights details.
- Sales – for all types of record of sales and purchase, products, checkouts, orders etc
- Manufacturing – production details, inventory orders and order types.
How DBMS works?
With the help of applications program and DBMS software, data are saved in particular memory location of a database.
Here, application programs can be in any language C, C++, Java, PHP, Python etc.
DBMS software programs can be MySQL, SQL Server, Oracle etc.
The basic building blocks of a database is :
In next tutorial, you’ll learn types of databases.