What is OpenCart?
OpenCart is an open source PHP based online ecommerce system.
- It supports several languages and currencies.
- It is available to use under GNU General Public License.
- It allows designer to create attractive and interactive ecommerce website.
- It provides options to make seo-friendly website.
- It uses HTML components, PHP and MySQL.
Why to use OpenCart?
Following are the main reasons to use OpenCart:
- Easy to install and light weight
- Fast and easy to learn
- In built user management system
- Responsive design and many themes improves websites’s appearance
- Build in features like Discount, Offers, Coupons and Options
- Built-in SEO helps in creating SEO friendly website
- Several built in Payment options
- Integrated Review and Ratings system
- Powerful inventory system
- Extensive community support
- Several modules, extensions and theme to expand your store functionality
Who & when was OpenCart developed?
It was developed by Christopher G. Mann in 1998.
What is Ocmod in OpenCart?
Ocmod is a system in OpenCart that allows owners to modify store by uploading a compressed file format that contains XML, SQL and PHP files.
It is integrate to v22.214.171.124 and later OpenCart versions.
Explain basic directory structure in OpenCart?
The basic structure of files in OpenCart is separated in two sections – the admin, and the catalog folders.
The content of each folder follow the MVCL (Model View Controller Language) framework respectively.
The “admin” folder deals with backend functionality and the catalog with frontend functionality.
The above image shows the basic file structure directory of OpenCart.
How to install OpenCart?
In order to install OpenCart, please follow the following steps:
- Go to Download Page and download the latest version of OpenCart
- Unzip the downloaded file into your server directory and navigate to “Upload” directory
- Rename config-dist.php
- config-dist.php to config.php
- admin/config-dist.php to admin/config.php
- Make the writable permission to these files and directories
- system/storage/complete folders
- image folder
- config.php and admin/config.php
- Configure your database connection in config file in upload folder
- Now proceed to install.
Explain OpenCart is CMS or Framework?
OpenCart is an ecommerce CMS built in PHP. It is an open source system and free to use under GNU General Public License.
What are the payment methods available within OpenCart?
Following are the payment methods available in OpenCart when you installed:
- Amazon Pay
- Authorize.Net (AIM) (SIM)
- Bank Transfer
- Cash on Delivery
- First Data
- SagePay Direct
- Wordlpay Online Payments. etc
What are modules in OpenCart?
OpenCart modules are nothing but the plugins or extensions in CMS. It gives the ability to extend the features and functionalities without having to edit the application’s files.
List some core modules available in OpenCart.
- Google Talk
List some reports supported or available in OpenCart.
- Sales Report –
- Orders report
- Tax report
- Shipping report
- Returns report
- Coupons report
- Product Report –
- Product viewed report
- Customer Report –
- Customer online
- Customer activity
- Order report
- Reward points report
- Customer credit report
- Affiliate activity
What is the minimum requirements needed to install OpenCart?
- Web Server – Apache (suggested)
- PHP 5.4 or PHP >= 5.4
- Curl enabled
- Database – MySQLi (suggested)